Among the multitudes of photos of the past, there are some that show the history from a different perspective. The best of theses images can help you to imagine better than any book or movie what it was really like to live through that moment, now lost forever.
Smalljoys has picked out 20 fascinating shots which fit this description perfectly. Take a look.
1. You have no chance of attracting her attention if your opponent is Alain Delon. Even if you’re Mick Jagger.
2. Salvador Dali walking his pet anteater, 1969.
3. Osama bin Laden on vacation with his family, Sweden, 1970.
4. The fashion for hats, New York, 1939.
5. Alfred Hitchcock playing with his grandchildren, 1960.
6. Princeton University students after a snowball fight, 1893.
7. George Lucas and Steven Spielberg playing with water pistols, Sri Lanka, 1983.
8. A one-hundred-and-six-year-old Armenian woman defends her house, 1990.
9. A five-megabyte hard drive is shipped by IBM, 1956.
10. French women who have been accused of having affairs with German soldiers are stripped down to their underwear, some with heads shaved, as part of their public humiliation, 1944.
11. Flooding in Paris, 1924.
12. Nikola Tesla in his laboratory.
13. Ernest Hemingway after one of his parties.
14. Women protest against the forced wearing of the hijab in Iran after the Islamic Revolution, 1979.
15. The last photo of the Titanic before it sank, 1912.
16. Audrey Hepburn shopping with her pet fawn, Beverly Hills, 1958.
17. Dior models walking the streets of Moscow, 1956.
18. A Frenchman gives a light to Winston Churchill, 1944.
19. A smoking break during the construction of the RCA building, 1932.
20. Coca-Cola arrives in France, 1950.
21. The seal on the doors of the tomb of Tutankhamen, 1922. It had remained intact for an incredible 3,245 years.
Bonus. Seriously Emotional Photos that will Melt Your Heart
The happiness of life can touch absolutely everyone.
The greatest of victories.
The most loyal friend.
A man of steel.
Up, up and away!
Laughter is the best medicine.
I will love you ’till death do us part.
The miracle of life.
Even the strongest have to cry.
Because I know how it feels…
I’m right beside you.
That’s one cute little general.
What are you afraid of?
Love without limits.
I’m here for you.
Welcome home, Daddy.