It’s a lot easier to be bougie on a budget than most people think, especially when it comes to decorating your home.
How many times have you walked past an aisle with a bunch of place mats and told yourself you don’t need any?
They seem like those one-purpose-only kind of items, but there are so many unique things you can use them for, and you can find plenty of pretty patterns at the dollar store!
With different DIYs and hacks, you may not pass by those place mats in the store again!
1. Turn your place mat into a pillow with some really simple stitching!
The Country Chic Cottage shows us that place mats are perfect for pillow making. You just need to buy two, stitch them together, and add your filling! Plus, some have durable materials that are perfect for outside.
2. Here’s a great hack: use place mats as drawer liners!
Jensutherland came up with this idea! Place mats are easy to cut, so you can easily fit them in your drawer! Some people like to glue them down, but Jen says she didn’t so that she can wash them.
3. Your journal holds your most private thoughts — it’s important to protect it!
One way to protect it is to make a notebook cover for it. YouTuber Myfairytreasures used a place mat to make hers. She dolled it up with a fancy keychain and some rhinestones. A little glamor for all of your glamorous thoughts!
4. Do you live the big-bagged life? Isn’t it so difficult to find all of your items? This will help!
With a soft place mat, you can do some quick stitching to make a bag organizer like Julie Jewels World did to fit inside your giant purse. You’ll never struggle to find your tissue or Advil again!
5. No matter how many times you tell your dog, they will always make a mess when eating and drinking.
6. I’m in love with this table tray — it looks so expensive!
Miss Monificient took a plain green place mat and dolled it up with some spray paint. Then, she put it on top of a mirror, added a few frames and rope, and ended with this beautiful project. Can I have one, too?!
7. Have all your necessary items right on the arm of your chair!
That remote will never get stuck in between the cushions again with an armchair caddy! Sew Many Ways created this with — you guessed it — a place mat!
If you’re someone who likes to sew while watching TV, then this will be so beneficial.
All of your sewing supplies can neatly sit inside the pockets, and you can add a velcro pincushion to go on top for your pins! You’ll never need to leave your seat again.
8. Nevermind setting your food on them. Turn yours into stylish wall décor!
With spray paint and tape, you can get a look similar to Rush Our Fashion’s! It’s a great way to use up some bare wall space and add a splash of color.
9. To match your new wall art, create a wicker place mat clock, too!
Fancy Momma came up with this awesome DIY. With a few items like paint, paint chips, and clock parts, you can have one, as well. Something like this would be so expensive in stores.
10. A place mat can become your new makeup bag!
Lorrie Nunemaker created this style with one square place mat. With a little bit of sewing and a zipper, you can have one for your makeup, sewing supplies, markers, or whatever! I hear a great DIY gift calling!
11. To go with your new supplies bag, make an actual tote bag!
You may need more than one place mat for this, but again, it’ll be, like, a four dollar bag. That’s much cheaper than the $20 or more you would spend in a store. My Sew Sweet Studio will show you how to create this!
12. Nevermind that expensive kitchen renovation you were saving up for. Just do it on your own!
Okay, here’s a truly unexpected hack: use place mats to make a kitchen backsplash! Yep, Ashley’s Rowhome did it, and for cheap. Talk about creative, amirite?
13. Vases are important to have around your house, and your place mat can roll into one!
Aimee from In This Life used bamboo place mats wrapped around clear jars for her craft. This solution is so cheap and chic!
14. Calling all mommies! How often does your child ruin their bib with a mess?
If you’re crafty and can sew, then you can turn a place mat into a new bib for your babe, so that they always have one on rotation! Made Everyday will show you how to craft yours.
Honestly, the messes won’t stop, so maybe make a few.
Here’s another bib look with a patterned trim around the edge. You can whip up whatever design you’d like and even craft some for friends!